Raising kids to have good oral habits can feel like an uphill battle, but it doesn’t have to be. You can make life easier by developing and sticking to a dental schedule for your children and teaching them good dental habits at home.
Teach Good Dental Habits
It’s important for our children to start getting into a proper oral health care routine, as soon as they can hold a toothbrush. You want to monitor their independent dental care and teach them the proper brushing techniques. In addition to showing your kids how to brush their teeth, focus on teaching them why it’s so important.
Here are a few tips to help educate your child about oral care:
- Create a brushing program: To help your children learn all the steps involved in caring for their teeth, create a chart that easily explains the steps. You should use pictures and instructions from magazines and books, making it easy to read and follow along.
- Lead by example: This is the most important step when it comes to teaching good habits. Don’t just tell your children to brush their teeth, brush yours with them so they see that you also take care of your teeth.
- Involve them in the process: To help your children get more interested in tooth hygiene, take them with you to the store and let them pick out their own toothbrushes and toothpastes.
- Teach them about health risks: As your children get older, they need to understand things like cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss. Explaining the health risks that they may experience if they neglect their teeth and gums will motivate them to continue brushing and flossing as they grow older.
- Teach proper brushing and flossing techniques: It’s crucial that your children are learning to brush correctly. Talk them through the proper steps, and teach them about how brushing too strongly can wear down the enamel and harm their teeth.
Teaching your children good oral health habits is fundamental to their well-being at this early stage of life. Follow the tips above, and remember to visit your dentist regularly for checkups. Regular dental examination ensures that there are not any progressive dental problems that could lead to discomfort or loss of your teeth.
Contact your Davisville Medical Dental Centre to book your next appointment!