Holiday dental tips might not sound fun, but they’re necessary. As the summer months approach, we all probably have one thing on our mind: holidays. Many of us have already probably begun planning our next vacation. Whether it’s as close as Muskoka or as far away as Australia, the countdown is on. “We can easily get wrapped up in all the excitement and forget about our oral health,” says Dr. Maryam Adibfar, one of Toronto’s best dentists located in the heart of the city. “Holiday dental tips are important because no one wants their special holiday impacted by a cavity or toothache. And since we tend to indulge while we’re away, we can tend to lose sight of keeping our teeth and gums healthy.”
There is a way to balance good oral health with all that fun you’ll be having. These holiday dental tips will help. Here are few proven tips to help keep your smile beautiful as you embark on another big adventure full of fun, excitement and memories.
1. Holiday Dental Tip – Check in With Your Dentist: Before you hit the road or take to the skies, it’s important to make a trip to your trusted Toronto dentist. While a trip to the dentist might not be as fun as the holiday you have planned, it’s a critical part in ensuring your teeth stay healthy. “Visiting your dentist is a great part of any pre-holiday preparation,” says Dr. Adibfar. “It’s a great preventative measure that will keep oral health front of mind. You might even want to think about scheduling another appointment upon your return to give your teeth some TLC after all the indulging.”
2. Holiday Dental Tip – Pack Appropriately: It’s amazing what we can forget during the packing frenzy that occurs before a holiday. As we try and make sure we have the essentials, sometimes things can slip our mind. “Brushing should still be part of your daily routine, even on your care-free trip,” explains Dr. Adibfar. “We always recommend taking two toothbrushes with you just in case. It also might be a great time to buy a new toothbrush and give your teeth a fresh clean.”
3. Holiday Dental Tip – Watch What You Eat: Holidays are a time for indulging in great food and drink. But it shouldn’t be a license to go overboard. “During the holidays we tend to graze more, snack often and consume foods and drinks that are higher in sugar, including alcohol,” explains Dr. Adibfar. “This can lead to tooth decay, sensitivity, cavities and enamel erosion.” When it comes to these holiday dental tips, we aren’t recommending to not enjoy yourself, but it’s important to try and limit the amount of sugar you consumer. It’s also a good rule of thumb to drink water throughout the day to cleanse your mouth and ensure you’re brushing regularly. These small actions can go a long way when it comes to your oral health.
4. Holiday Dental Tip – Protect Your Sensitive Lips: If you’re soaking up the sun, you’re probably applying lots of sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. But we tend to forget about our lips, which are very sensitive and vulnerable. “We all known the effects long-term sun exposure can have on our bodies, which includes skin disease and cancer,” explains Dr. Adibfar. “Use SPF-enhanced lip balm to protect your lips and reduce the chances of developing forms of oral cancer.”
5. Holiday Dental Tip – Keep Safety Front of Mind: Oral sporting injuries are very common. During our holidays we tend to take part in adventures and activities we typically don’t do on a daily basis. This can included swimming, local sports, rock climbing, mountain biking and even more extreme activities like bungee jumping or skydiving. “Taking part in these activities can lead to oral injuries such as cracked or broken teeth,” says Dr. Adibfar. “We always recommend wearing the appropriate safety gear when taking part in these adventures. Remember, you can never be too careful because no one wants to cut their trip short due to a preventable injury.”
Want more holiday dental tips? Do you have questions about how to keep your teeth healthy or want to schedule check-up, teeth cleaning or routine exam? Contact us directly! Our team looks forward to seeing you.
A BONUS Just for You!
When you refer a friend, family member or colleague to our office, you’ll receive a $25 gift card to a favourite local coffee shop.
Simply contact our Davisville dental team directly to make a referral! Now that you know how to combat stains, you can enjoy your coffee or tea to the fullest.